I recently went to my first LIVE event last week, it was awesome. As I walked around the room, I was excited to see what was being offered at all the exhibit tables. Needless to say, I was underwhelmed. It was not that they did not have information; it was that it did not pull me in and want to learn more. They also did not have a way to connect with me; grab my contact information so that they could continue the conversation after the event. This is not unusual; this happens most of the time. So what are you supposed to do? Here are my top 5 tips:
- Get My Attention: is your table standing out from the rest of the crowd? Here are a few ways to do that:
- Make your table taller than the rest. You can purchase inexpensive table risers that will take the table higher and make it stand out.
- Bring a different tablecloth. Do not look like the rest of the room, put something on top of their cloth that is in alignment with your branding and a color different than everyone else.
- Use boxes, covered with cloth to act as height to your table. Have levels of information; it makes it more interesting to the eye.
- Use signage to tell the audience who you are and what you do. Do not make us guess or walk up and ask. If it’s not something we are interested in; we will feel stuck in a conversation that will not be a sale; so, don’t waste your time or mine.
- Give Something Away: everyone loves to win something; so, have something really juicy in a raffle. This should not be “Complementary Call” with you. I want to win something; perhaps a basket with wine, glasses, and a journal; or a gift card to a local restaurant or Starbucks. You don’t have to spend a lot; but make it so engaging, I can’t wait to give you my business card or contact information. Tell the participants when the raffle will take place so they could check back to see if they won. You do not want to take the raffle prize home and then have to mail it out. It is so much better the hand it to them, take a picture and share it on social media. You can give something away every day of the event; this is a great way to get them coming back again and again. You can also have a free download that everyone gets for just participating. This keeps the conversation going after the event.
- Know What to Say: If the exhibitors are given time to introduce themselves; please be prepared. Tell them who you are; what you do and why they need to come to your table. Don’t ramble or forget to share your Free Download; Your Raffle; or any other goodies you have to offer. You want to entice them to come to your table.
- Video: If you really want to add something interesting; make a video that shows what your company is all about and have it playing on a loop on your table. Now it’s hard if your table is not in a secure area; but you can put the computer up and have it run when you are at the table. This is great for companies that have before/after photos; it really shows what you are all about. Of if you can show clients success; testimonials; your products. Everyone is so used to seeing video after being home for the past year; it will draw their attention. This presentation needs to look professional, so if you can’t get it looking great, don’t do it. You need to put your best foot forward, you don’t have a lot of time to get their attention.
- Stand in Front of Your Table: Stop hiding behind your table. You are using it as a block between you and your potential client. Step out from behind and stand to the side or in front. It is more welcoming and open. Introduce yourself and ask if they have any questions; or ask them to sign up and win a prize; do not start with a sale. Do not overwhelm them, just be there to answer questions. No one like to be sold to!
So remember: Stand Out, Give Away, Know What to Say, Get Your Video Rocking and Stand out in Front of the Table. I know you will see a big difference and your leads will increase thus growing your community of raving fans!
Want to learn more about events & the business of speaking on stages? Check out my other blogs, or contact me at Toni@Academy4Speakers.com.
Academy4Speakers, Caruso Signature Events
Founder ~ CEO
Caruso Signature Events & Academy 4 Speakers
Toni has over 30 years of event production experience and has brilliantly managed & successfully organized events, small and large, for the entertainment, corporate and business-to-business world. Toni has taken her knowledge, skills, and experience to business professionals so they can help educate, inform and share their genius live on stage. Her mission is to produce live Signature Events that are exciting, engaging, unique, and informative.
Toni is also an award winning author and speaker.